Birmingham Garage & Industrial Doors ltd, Garage Door Types Explained
1. Side Hinged Garage Doors
Probably the most basic type, and certainly has been around for many many years. BGID’s own Rowley Range of steel side hinged doors offer the following features:
- Manufactured from galvanized steel, and powder coat paint finished to clients choice of colour.
- Normally fitted to BGID’s own unique 2 mm. galvanized steel rebated section cold rolled frame.
- Doors usually open out, and thus obstructions inside the garage, such as gas or electricity meters, or chimney breasts which prevent the use of up and over doors are no problem to this type of door.
- Available in either 2/3 x 1/3 split or 50 x 50 split, and as matching access doors
- All door and frame units are made to individual site details.
- A choice of 6 attractive panel styles is available.
2. Roller Doors
This type of door opens vertically, and coils around a motorised barrel or tube into the open position. BGID’s Electroglide is a double skinned insulated lath door fitted with a horizontal rubber nosing and vertical brush strip to ensure an effective seal when closed.
- Doors are normally fitted behind brickwork reveals to thus maximise both opening width and height
- No outward swing as door opens, so you can park right up to the door – especially useful if you have a short driveway. Ideal for arched openings
- All doors are made to measure to suit your opening
- Wide choice of surface finishes and colours
- Motorised and with the very latest rolling code remote control technology for convenience and peace of mind.
3. Up & Over Garage Doors - Canopy
Without doubt the most popular type of up and over door operating gear. When fully open the door projects outside the opening by approximately 1/3 of its height, thus forming a “canopy” A torsion spring provides the power and balance to ensure ease of use, lifting the door via steel cables at each side.
- Maximum drive through width ensured by there being no projection of the operating gear into the opening.
- Normally supplied with an integral steel frame for the most straightforward installation.
- Massive range of standard sizes, and also available made to measure.
- Doors manufactured from steel, timber, GRP and PVC, with a wide range of surface finishes and colours.
- Normally supplied for manual operation, but can easily have the convenience and security if electric operation and remote control added.
3a. Up and Over Garage Doors - Retractable
This type of retractable – sometimes called “tracked” – gear allows the garage door to open almost fully back into the garage. Side mounted tension springs power and balance the door as it moves on door arms, with spindles and rollers operating in horizontal tracks into the open position. Some loss of drive through width because of door arm intrusion can be overcome by using the alternative Retractable Plus gear, which moves the door arm brackets further up the frame.
- Normally supplied with integral steel frame for ease of installation
- Extensive range of standard sizes and also made to measure.
- Doors are manufactured in steel, timber, GRP and PVC, with a wide range of surface finishes and colours.
- Normally manually operated, but ideal door action for the addition of electric operation and remote control.
4. Sectional Garage Doors
Generally considered to be the very best type of garage door. The door opens vertically, then curves through 90 to follow horizontal tracks into the garage. Absolutely ideal for electric operation which serves to enhance the doors already smooth, easy opening and closing cycle.
- Doors are usually fitted behind brickwork reveals to thus maximise both drive through width and height
- No outward swing as door opens, so you can park right up to the door – useful if you have a short driveway. Ideal for arched openings.
- Wide range of standard sizes, and made to measure too.
- Wide selection of materials, surface finishes and panel styles to choose from.
- Available as a single skin construction, but best as a double skinned and insulated panel. This latter construction highlights and augments the excellent seal achieved when the door is in the fully closed position.
- Available manually operated, but absolutely ideal for electric operation with remote control highlighting the already impressively smooth controlled door action.